Monday, July 25, 2011

Botox Brilliant



Botox is widely known for its ability to diminish crows feet, wrinkle lines on  the forehead and  the "number 11" lines between the eyebrows.
It is frequently (and somewhat brilliantly) used to give a non surgical brow lift, fix lip imperfections, and perform all manner of youthful trickery.

Unfortunately not everyone who gives Botox shots know what they are doing, hence the slew of perpetually freaked out looking women prowling the malls, looking fierce. (but not in a good way!)
If you are thinking about having Botox it is imperative that you find a practioner that not only has a huge grasp on aesthetics, but who also has a massive understanding of the intricacies of the musculature of the face.

Make sure you get referrals from people who have had really fantastic experiences with Botox, or you may end up looking like the lady who sat opposite me on the plane the other day. She looked like a trippy Norma Desmond, albeit with only one expression,  leading the casual observer to believe the plane was in a vertical spiral, and we were coming into the fast part.
And her eyebrows were hoisted halfway up her forehead...

Anyway, once convinced that we were in fact maintaining a somewhat horizontal flight path, it got me thinking about some other uses for Botox.
My Dermatologist always tells me how wonderful it is in the treatment of pain, especially for migraine sufferers. (unfortunately my migraines don't center in the right place for me to be a candidate.) and
I've read that it can be used to eliminate excessive sweating.


Another cool one I just read about is "Tennis Elbow", the term used when tendons in the lower arm get damaged from prolonged repetitive movement. (I have Makeup-Artist-Kit-Carrying-Elbow from dragging my heavy makeup cases around, so I empathize...)
Resting your arm often solves the problem, but for some it can be ongoing and very painful.

Researchers at the Khomeni Hospital Complex in Tehran recently experimented using Botox to relax the muscles putting tension on the tendons, allowing the tendons to heal.
Sounds incredibly clever to me!

So if you see me cruising around with a wickedly youthful looking left elbow, you'll know exactly what I've been up to...

No comments :

Post a Comment