Monday, April 18, 2016

5 Travel Makeup Tips

makeup-travel-tips


Are you getting ready to go on a big trip? 
I hope it's a vacation for you, but maybe it's business travel or maybe there is some other reason that you are boarding that flight. Regardless of why you are traveling you need to have a plan with your makeup. What to bring, what to leave behind, and how to transport it so that it arrives undamaged.
Today I'm going to tell you how I do it, with 5 Travel Makeup Tips, and 2 bonus travel beauty tips at the end.

1. Keep It Small Enough To Take Onboard  With You


Although (touch wood) my bag has never gone missing, I pack my carry on bag assuming my suitcase and I are parting ways for a few days. If I arrived at my destination with no clothes and no makeup for the first three days it would seriously ruin my trip. Last year a friend of mine was not reunited with her suitcase until 3 weeks into her 3 1/2 week trip!
With that in mind your carry on bag has to be artfully packed with just enough to get you through and not enough to weigh you down, which means your makeup bag needs to be scaled down. It's actually quite refreshing to have just the basics with you, transferred into travel sized containers and packed into a see through makeup bag.
I buy my travel makeup and toiletry containers from The Container Store, and for years now I have traveled with my Stephanie Johnson Miami Blue medium zip cosmetic bag.

Clear-Makeup-Bags
Stephanie Johnson Miami Blue collection


2. Take A Bright Pop Of Lip


You need two lip games when you travel. One is a softer, juicier gloss. Choose a color base that works with your skin tone and the wardrobe you are bringing, for example a pinky based nude, or a soft praline nude.
Your other lip game when you travel needs to be a bright pop of color. Maybe you're a red girl, maybe you are a fuchsia (my favorite), maybe you rock a coral like no other - whatever looks the most gorgeous on you (and makes you feel like a million dollars), that's the one you want.
A bright lip infuses your complexion with luscious life, it sets your eyes alight, and it makes you look vibrant. And let's face it a vibrant, vivacious you is perfect for travel!
Try Nars lipstick in Schiap

Travel-lipstick



3. Keep Your Story Simple  

Rather than traveling with several different makeup looks, choose one. Use a pretty base, love up your cheeks with one blush, take a brow product and one eye shadow story. You can change your look by changing your eyeliner, and you can modify everything by adding a bright lip or opting for a soft gloss.


chanel-eyeshadow
Chanel eye shadow quad in Tisse Vendome

4. Keep Your Foundation Sheer. 

Thick foundation looks awful anytime, but worse when you're traveling. Invest in a lightweight foundation or a BB Cream, that mimic fresh, beautiful skin and leave the heavy stuff behind.

travel-bb-cream
Stila BB Cream


5. Waterproof Mascara Needs Waterproof Eye-Makeup Remover

Waterproof mascara is great for travelling, especially when you are going somewhere wet or where you will have beach/pool/water time.
The problem with waterproof mascara is that it is murder to get off. Rather than rubbing and scrubbing at your eyes, damaging the skin around them and breaking off your lashes, travel with a waterproof eye makeup remover that will dissolve and clean away the most stubborn waterproof mascara.


2 Bonus Tips

6. Pack A Facial SPF

Always travel with a free standing facial SPF. The SPF that is in your moisturizer or your foundation doesn't actually give you much protection at all, so not only can those pesky UVB rays burn you but you can guarantee that the UVA (aging) rays are busily breaking down your skin's elastin and collagen and fast tracking the aging process.
The SPF you use on your body is too heavy for your face and will give you breakouts.
For years now I have sworn by Neutrogena Dry Touch with Helioplex. I get the highest SPF on the shelf be it SPF 70, 85 or 100


7. Add an oil.

Airplane air, a change of climate, different water, changes in your sleep pattern and a change in your environment can all contribute to dried out, dull looking skin. Breathe some life back into your skin and give it a gorgeous, healthy glow by adding a skin oil to your skin care regimen.
My secret potion? I use Tatcha Camellia Oil when I travel. (You can even buy it in a travel size). It nourishes and hydrates my skin, but magically also has a dry finish, so it doesn't matter if I am somewhere humid - my skin doesn't look dehydrated. A dry oil is also fantastic because makeup goes on over it perfectly and because of the dry finish it doesn't slip away.

dry-finish-facial-oil

Japanese luxury skin care line Tatcha is my go-to brand for travel.
I always think your skin needs extra loving when you are on the move, and for several years now Tatcha has been giving my skin the boost it needs when I'm away. (I've blogged about it a million times, so you probably already know this!)
Tatcha totally gets it, so they have made a huge line of 
travel sized products. Also keep an eye out for their Mother's Day gift sets - I buy them to travel with too!

No comments :

Post a Comment