Friday, November 14, 2014

Corinna B's World Goes To San Gimignano ~ The Glam Italia Tour

San Gimignano, Tuscany

San Gimignano is my home in Italy. 
Nestled on a hilltop between Florence and Siena, this little, walled, medieval town is known as the “Town Of Fine Towers”, due to the unforgettable skyline created by the remaining 14 towers that proudly watch over the neighboring hills and vineyards stretching their way across Tuscany. At one time there were more than 70 towers in this tiny town, playing an architectural game of “my one’s bigger than yours”.


San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-01


I just adore this beautiful place.

San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-02

San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-03

San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-04


San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-05
Buy local olive oils and cheeses in San Gimignano


At home in America when my crazy life gets too stressful, when I can’t sleep at night, or when life gets too complicated, I close my eyes and make the drive from Poggibonsi, through all the roundabouts, and up the winding  hill, past the olive oil stand and the wineries, and in to San Gimignano.
My parking spot sits beside a giant nespole tree which bares the most beautiful fruit. 

From there in my mind I walk to the Porta San Matteo and take in every store and coffee shop along the via San Matteo, sometimes stopping at Lucia and Maria’s for my daily caffe and slice of Mandorlata, sometimes just walking straight to the lovely Piazza Duomo and my beautiful attic apartment.
It is the quintessential de-stresser.


San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-06
Grab a caffee and a slice of panforte at Lucia and Maria's on via San Matteo

San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-07
Thursday morning market in San Gimignano

San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-08
Market day in San Gimignano, Tuscany



I love the Thursday morning market in Piazza Duomo 
and Piazza Cisterna

San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-08


San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-09
Enjoy a prosecco in Piazza Cisterna after the tourists have gone for the day


San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-10
Enjoy a gelato or just chill at Piazza Cisterna, The cisterna was built in 1287
 Take time to look inside the cisterna, There are deep grooves in the stone rim from centuries of ropes hauling up buckets of water.


San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-11
Make sure you explore the back streets of San Gimignano

If you ever come to  San Gimignano, make sure you stay until after all the tourist buses leave at 5pm. Enjoy an early evening Prosecco in the Piazza Cisterna and take a sunset walk along the top of the walls that encircle the town. Take in the view, and breathe in the magical air of one of the loveliest places I know.


San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-13
Piazza Cisterna in San Gimignano before the tour buses arrive in the morning


San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-14
Via San Matteo in San Gimignano before the tour buses arrive

San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-15
San Gimignano is magic at the end of the day when the tourists are gone



San-Gimignano-Tuscany-Glam-Italia-Tour-15
Stroll along the walls when all the tourists have left for the day

All images are my own. Please do not use without my written permission.
Thanks!




1 comment :

  1. Oh my, the picture of that poor pig is so offensive. It sickens me to see it :-(

    ReplyDelete