Monday, May 21, 2012

What Skin Care and Makeup To Take On Board Your Flight


image by Kelli Cappelli
I often get asked by clients to help them organize what to pack to travel with,
and equally importantly what to take on board their flight with them.

My celebrity clients are constantly flying around the world promoting albums and movies,
with paparazzi lying in wait with telephoto lenses, waiting to capture every detail of every arrival.
My civilian clients have often stressed for months leading up to their wedding, partied through their wedding, and now want to look gorgeous post wedding on their honeymoon.

Regardless of why you're flying, there is a recipe for looking gorgeous when you land.

Firstly you need to understand that while you are airborne your body is losing an extra glass of water for each hour you are up there. The first place your body shows dehydration? - your face.
On long haul flights this can have you both looking and feeling hideous when you arrive at your destination.

On any flight longer than 5 hours you shouldn't wear makeup. It will dry out, crunch up and have you looking way less than lovely on arrival. If you do have to wear foundation to the airport, take good quality cleansing cloths on board with you, and remove it.


I use skyn Iceland Glacial Cleansing Cloths 
These towelettes activate when you rub them together, giving you a water free, rinse free cleanse.
I normally cleanse again during the flight, and before landing, keeping my pores clear and refreshed.



skyn Iceland's entire line is devoted to solutions for stressed skin.
When you travel, your skin gets stressed, so they make the perfect travel companion.

I take the skin care and makeup products that are going on board with me in the detachable clear plastic pouches that come in Stephanie Johnson travel toiletry bags. They are perfect for the airport xray machine and snap back into your toiletry bag when you arrive at your hotel.
And they look tres chic.



Now that your skin is clean, its time to deal with the hydration equation.
To combat dehydration and stress.
 




 I buy travel sized Arctic Face Mist, again from skyn Iceland. This magic spray infuses your skin with vitamins promoting cell renewal, hydration, antioxidant protection and much more. Plus it just feels really really nice. I spritz my face a couple of times during the flight, more if necessary. (I frequently do long haul flights to far away places, so my skin needs some extra lovin.)








Next up I always recommend a super hydrating serum.
Celebrities, flight attendants and civilians alike all love Rhonda Allison Drop Of Essence. I apply it a couple of times during the flight, giving the skin an extra hydration boost. This one also soothes, smoothes and softens the skin, helping it to look and feel supple and lovely.

Also from skyn Iceland I use the Icelandic Relief Eye Pen.
This one packs a fabulous hydration boost, and is an ideal travel companion.

Lastly my on board skin care pack has a lip balm and a mini moisturizer.

In a separate clear pouch I pack some makeup essentials, not only for arrival, but also in case the airline loses my suitcase. I have no interest in spending days makeup free, waiting for my suitcase to arrive.

The second key to arriving looking fabulous after a long flight is what you put on before landing.
A heavy foundation and powder will make you look old and haggard. A crushed mineral foundation will make you look 100.
From Perricone MD I get No Concealer Concealer and No Foundation Foundation. These two gems will even out color and skin tone, while infusing radiance into your complexion. Your skin will glow and your pores won't look beaten up.



Next I use the amazing Nars Multiple Stick, normally in Orgasm or in Portofino.
 Dehydrated skin/jet lagged skin/ tired skin tends to take on a green or grey hue that looks ghastly on everyone, so you need to add in some warmth to counterbalance that. These shades are universally flattering on everyone, and add a little warmth back into your visage. Multiple Sticks are fantastic multi-purpose lovers, designed for use on cheeks lips and eyes.





Now all you need is a little mascara, lipgloss (try Nars Super Orgasm), and a little perfume and you can walk down that jet way looking and feeling completely gorgeous!


Cover image photographed by Kelly Cappelli
Model Ashley Black (FordRBA)
wardrobe stylist Leah Michelle
Hair Katie Hardison
Makeup Corinna Cooke

3 comments :

  1. This is great! I’m getting married this summer and trying to establish a beauty routine. I’ve very much been a wash, moisturize and go girl for most of my life. I was drowning in information, so this is really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s really an amazing and informative article regarding skin care on flight. I appreciate your post because you have mentioned some important tips to protect skin from the harsh effects. Thank you for sharing this well described article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! I fly all the time, and keeping your skin looking great is everything!

      Delete