Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Brush Me Baby!



So I wanted to answer some of the questions you've been sending me about the CorinnaB brush line, and rather than do endless replies, I figured I'd just put it all here.

I decided back in the mid nineties that I wanted to do a makeup brush line. I also decided that anything I would put my name on had to be of extraordinary quality, so I set in motion a program that took years to complete.

I would get a given set of brushes, and then put it through its paces for months on end, both with my personal at-home use, and also being integrated into my kit. I kept finding that most brushes were OK for a couple of months, but past that point they would start breaking down, losing too many hairs, losing shape and texture, and ultimately they would wind up in the "no way Jose" pile.

Then there would be the brushes that held up OK in terms of not falling apart, but didn't pick up and transport product efficiently. I wanted something that would really smoothly glide product across the skin.
I was able to eliminate different hairs - I didn't want squirrel, I didn't want pony etc, but it took a great deal of time to find something that I really did want.
I eventually came across badger brushes. The hair met the quality standards I had set, and my little love affair began...

But finding the right hair for your brushes is just the very beginning. Next up you have to decide on the specific shapes you want for your brushes, based on what tasks you want them to perform. After that the density of the hair comes into play. A brush that is too densely packed will create a stripe across this skin, a brush that doesn't have sufficient hairs bound into the ferrule will splay out across the skin and leave you with no control of the product placement.



With badger hair there are four shavings per year, and each shaving yields a different type of hair. The mid-winter shave is the softest hair, the summer shave is the most course hair.
After I had fallen in and out of that equation a few times, I got the perfect brushes.

So long story short, it took forever and a day to get it exactly as I wanted it, then 12 months of really working the brushes hard, and seeing how they held up before I was ready to put my name on them and introduce them to the world.

They've been around for a couple of years now, and I am still using my original sets everyday.
Oh, and by the way, these brushes are manufactured right here in America!

You can read about the individual brushes on the website CorinnaB.com

I'll periodically talk about an individual brush here on the blog, and I show you the brushes at work in the youtube videos.

I hope this answers the bulk of your questions, but always feel free to ask me more!



Have a gorgeous day

xo

C

No comments :

Post a Comment