Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Time for a Good Lashing

OK, so its time to tackle some more make up details, and leave the shoes and lingerie alone for a minute!

Today I want to chat to you about mascara. Mascara is one of those products that almost everyone in lady-land uses, but so frequently its all wrong. Oftentimes its a nightmare in a tube, so I'm going to give you my top 10 tips for mascara use. There's actually more than 10, but here we go...

Firstly, let me tell you about the products I use both in my kit and on myself.

My favorite beyond all favorites is the unbelievably fabulous Diorshow Blackout. I use this mascara at home when I want sensational, huge, gorgeous lashes.





I'm convinced that a huge portion of the magic here is in the wand. When I'm working with celebs and models and want some serious lash action I'll take a new tube of Blackout, but as I cant re-use the wand I give the tube to them when we're done.

The other staple mascara in my personal make up arsenal is by MAC and is called Plush Lash. Again its all about the wand, and the lashes are divine.

The mainstay mascaras in my kit are by MAC, particularly Zoom Lash and Pro Lash.


These are great little work horse mascaras. They pack a fabulous punch and don't cost the earth. ( I think they run about $12 each). If you are intimidated by a huge wand, or just feel more at ease using a smaller wand, these are both ideal.
The quality is excellent too.

Here are my Top 10 Mascara Tips:

1) Never use drug store/supermarket brands. I constantly see women with broken or damaged lashes, clumps of lashes missing, irritated skin at the lash line, and the common denominator always seems to be a cheap mascara.
At the risk of alienating the masses I'm telling you to get rid of them. Try the MACs and see what you think.

2) Unless you're planning on swimming or crying, avoid waterproof mascara.
It is so difficult to completely remove, and you can easily wind up damaging your lashes and rubbing the delicate skin around the eye too much.

3) Make sure you remove all your mascara, every night.
Some cleansers will gently dissolve and remove your mascara. If yours doesn't try a good, gentle eye make up remover.

4) Never pump your mascara wand in and out of the tube.
All this does is dry the mascara out prematurely. Instead, swirl the wand around inside the tube.

5) Remove excess mascara from the wand before you start applying it.
You can either use a clean tissue, or run the wand across the opening of the tube (which is what I do!)

6)If you are going to curl your lashes, do it before you put your mascara on.

7) When your mascara starts getting dry or flaking, its time to replace it.
Flakes and bits of mascara dropping below your eyes are not flattering on anyone!
In a pinch if you don't have a replacement tube, put the wand back in and close the tube, then either hold it under hot running water, or sit it in a glass of hot water. This will sometimes liquify it enough to be used.

8) If you have clumps of mascara on your lashes, run a lash groomer thru to remove the clumps and separate the lashes

9) Apply your lower lashes first. If you do the upper lashes first you may get dots of wet mascara on your upper lids when you start to do the lower ones.

10) When applying mascara, take the wand to the base of the lashes, then bring it forward with a slight side to side motion.
Coat the top of the upper lashes before you do the underside.

Remember that big, gooey, clumpy lashes are not fabulous and not sexy! Aim to have the lashes separated, long and full.

And then bat them baby!

No comments :

Post a Comment