Thursday, June 4, 2009

Remedy for a broken heart...


What do you do when your heart is broken so badly that you can't even breathe?

Are you the girl who grabs a pint of Haagen Dazs, curls up with kleenex, a playlist ofbreak up songs (to add intensity to the pain) and some weepy movies?


Not me! I have a low fat, low carb, tear free remedy for the most brutal, aching pain of them all.


I head to the Temple of All Things Right, a.k.a the Jimmy Choo store.






For me the greatest love affair of them all is with Jimmy...


He doesn't lie, he doesn't cheat, he respects and adores your ankles and caresses your body into perfect posture. Oh Jimmy!






He also wants to bless you with the perfect snakeskin slingbacks.


In the 1990s I worked a lot with Melanie Sykes (one of the most staggeringly beautiful women in the world, and who had no idea she was even pretty).



Melanie would fly into L.A from London, and we would shoot all kinds of fun celebrity interviews for a TV show over there called The Big Breakfast.


Then, one fateful evening, we had arrived on the set of a TV show called Ally McBeal to interview Calista Flockhart. Melanie stepped out of the car and into a pair of 4 1/2 inch high, soft pink slingbacks with white feathers along the sides.


The world stood still for a moment (or 10!), my eyes filled with tears, I could hear the blood pounding in my ears, I couldn't breathe! Melanie looked at me with complete understanding and breathed two magical words that would become forever intwined with my life. Jimmy Choo.





I couldn't find any pictures of the pink slingbacks, but I'm sure you can feel the magic in these.


Girls all over the globe were having the same visceral reaction to Jimmy's as I did. Within months of that evening you couldn't open a magazine without seeing celebrities, models, and the divinely well heeled pictured in Jimmy's. In fact in celebrity-land Jimmy Choo went hand in hand with breathing. BTW, these are not my thighs...


The quest for Jimmys became a fabulous obsession. Glossy magazine ads for his shoes were observed with reverence. Tamara Mellon (the genius behind the brand) made her way to the top of my "most admired" list. As Google caught its stride and opened up instant online gratification to the world, sites featuring Jimmys were at the top of my favorites list, and I found this new delicious way to erase a bad day - google Jimmys!


Aaahhh!


Every girl needs a goal, and I made a new pair of Jimmys my goal. (I may have forgotten to mention here that a pair of Jimmys costs somewhere between the monthly payment on a high end car, and a mortgage payment. But lets not get caught up in trivia...)


When I did eventually get my first pair of Jimmys they sat in their beautiful lavender box on my nightstand for a week. They were the first thing I'd see in the morning and the last thing I'd see at night. And it just so happened that I was nursing a broken heart at the time.


I'd be in the depths of sheer heartache misery, then I would open that lavender box, and the room would be filled with a pure white light, and the angels would sing.


And sisters, I had found the cure. Well, if not the actual cure, at least a beautiful distraction.





Even if a new pair of Jimmys is not in the budget, the stresses of life do tend to melt away as you walk through the doors of the Jimmy Choo store. I get an extra dose of happy just looking at pictures of them!



So next time your heart is in pieces, put down the comfort food and try making the pilgramage. If there's no Jimmy Choo store in your town, and you dont have a Nordstrom, theres always our dear friend Google.







Remember ladies, you can't choose who you fall in love with, but you can choose your shoes!


Love affairs come and go, love itself can be fleeting, but a pair of Jimmy Choos is forever!






















No comments :

Post a Comment